The Capitol Bar a saloon on Socorro's plaza built in 1896 when two brothers, Giovanni and Tobaschi Biavaschi, used stone, adobe and brick to build a place in which Giovanni’s wine could be purveyed to the public. The Capitol was one of 30 bars built during this period to satisfy the influx of residents from the mining boom but is the only one that survives today. Following the turn of the century, the Biavaschi saloon was operated by Amos Green, a Justice of the Peace who held court at the bar and jailed the guilty in the back room. Although the jail is long gone, the bars on the window are still visible. During Prohibition (1919-1933)the saloon (renamed the Green Front in honor of Judge Green)was both a pool hall and speakeasy. A trap door behind the bar led into the basement and providing an escape route which helped ensure its prosperity during this period. In 1939 the business was renamed the Capitol Bar and moved to the building next door but returned to its original location following a fire in 1940. In 1963 a New Mexico Tech alumn,Earl DeBrine,leased the Capitol and later purchased the business. The bar’s basement became an unofficial classroom for Tech students studying subjects of both higher and lower learning. The DeBrine family has continued to nurture the Cap’s century-plus tradition of serving as a melting pot where Techies, townies and travelers can wet their whistles and relax at the bar or in an outdoor beer garden and listen to live music on Fridays.