From “Bounty Hunting” article in the September 2017 issue.
Apple Crisp Pie
For crumb topping:
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup oatmeal (regular, not quick-cooking)
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into -inch cubes
- 6 large apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, and oatmeal.
- Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work it into the flour mixture. Chill.
- Core, peel, and slice the apples.
- Toss the apples with the sugar, cinnamon, and flour, then pour them into the prepared crust. Sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until the apples are tender but not mushy.