From the Art of Eating article in April 2017.
From A Painter’s Kitchen.
Makes 1 dozen muffins
- 1/4 cup dried apricots
- 1 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup raw wheat germ
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons honey, or to taste
- 1/4 cup oil
- Cover the dried apricots with boiling water. Let stand at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, salt, and pecans in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the egg, then add the yogurt, honey, and oil. When the apricots are soft, roughly chop them.
- Add the wet ingredients and the chopped apricots to the dry ingredients. Mix only until slightly blended.
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Grease a muffin tin and pour the batter so that each cup is half full. 6. Bake muffins for 20–25 minutes, or until browned. Serve with butter and fruit preserves, if desired.