From “Local Dirt” article in the October 2017 issue.
Famous Green Chile Stew
If you want to dress up this hearty stew from Hatch Chile Express, offer bowls of grated cheese, chopped green onions, lime wedges, and tortillas or cornbread along with it.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 pound round steak, cubed
- 1/2 pound lean pork, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 pound Hatch green chile, roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch oregano
- In a large saucepan, warm vegetable oil over medium heat. Add beef, pork, and onions. Sauté until meat has browned and onions are tender.
- Add 4 cups water and potatoes. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Adjust salt to taste, and serve.