From the Our Lady of la Cocina article in the December 2016 issue.
- 6 whole roasted and peeled Big Jim green chiles
- 6 long slices of 1/4-inch mozzarella cheese
- 3 eggs
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs or cracker meal
- 1 cup evaporated milk or heavy cream
- 1 cups vegetable or olive oil
- Stuff chiles with cheese to fit the length of the chile.
- In one bowl, whisk egg and milk together. Place the flour in another bowl, and the breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Dip each stuffed chile in the egg/milk mix, then the flour, then back into the egg/milk mix. Finally, roll the chile in the breadcrumbs.
- Deep-fry each chile in enough hot oil to cover it. Turn occasionally until golden brown on all sides.
- Set chiles on a plate lined with paper towels to soak excess oil.
- Serve hot. If desired, cover with red and/or green chile sauce and shredded cheddar cheese. Put in 375° oven for about 10 minutes to melt cheese or to keep warm.