From the "Class Act" article in the April 2018 issue.
Korean Black Bean Refrito
Look for the Korean ingredients used here in jars or tubs at an Asian grocery store.
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cooked black beans, drained
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Korean hot pepper paste (gochujang)
- 2 tablespoons Korean black bean paste (chunjang)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the black beans and chicken stock. Bring the stock just to a simmer.
- Using a masher or fork, mash the black beans, but don’t blend them completely. Leave some of the beans for texture.
- Add Korean pepper and bean pastes and black pepper and mix. You will not need salt, as these pastes are fermented and cured with salt.
- Add more pepper and bean paste to taste. The goal is for the dominant flavor to come from these umami-sublime pastes.