From the Art of Eating article in April 2017.
Mashed Potatoes with Dandelion Greens
From A Painter’s Kitchen, by Margaret Wood.
Makes 6 servings
- 6–8 fine-grained potatoes
- 1/2 cup or more roughly chopped young, tender dandelion greens
- 2–4 tablespoons of butter or oil
- 1/2 cup milk, or to taste
- Herb salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat the water to boiling in a heavy 2-quart pan. While the water is heating, peel the potatoes, and cut them into quarters.
- Add potatoes to boiling water. After about 20 minutes, or when the potatoes are tender, drain the cooking water from the potatoes.
- With a heavy potato masher, mash the potatoes, using 2 tablespoons of butter or oil and cup of the milk.
- After the potatoes are mashed to a smooth consistency, add more butter or oil and/or more milk if necessary.
- Incorporate the dandelion greens, stirring well to mix them into the potatoes. Add herb salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.