From the Our Lady of la Cocina article in the December 2016 issue.
Natillas (Spanish Custard)
Serves 6 or 7
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Separate yolks from egg whites. Save the yolks. Whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff, then set aside.
- Heat milk in a deep saucepan on medium high, then add sugar and salt. Stir frequently with a whisk so milk doesn’t rise over the edge of the pan as it warms.
- Whisk flour with 1/4 cup water. Add to milk mixture and boil for approximately 2 minutes, until mixture thickens. Stir constantly so the bottom doesn’t scorch.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add the egg yolks and, gradually, the stiffened egg whites. Continue to mix on the stovetop until mixture has a pudding-like consistency.
- When completely mixed, pour into a bowl. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. Serve warm or chilled.