Above: Philippe Ligier’s Almond Tuiles. Photograph by Douglas Merriam.
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the flour, sugar, orange zest, and egg whites in a mixing bowl and stir until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and butter, whisk again until smooth.
- Stir in sliced almonds. (Be gentle or they will break apart.)
- Place the batter 1 tablespoon at a time on a large baking sheet and spread in a circular motion with the back of a spoon into a thin 4-inch circle.
- Bake for 5–8 minutes, or until the edges are deep brown.
- Working very quickly, while the cookies are still warm and malleable, lay each over a rolling pin to form the classic curved shape.