From the "A New Harvest Season" article in the April 2016 issue.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup 2 percent milk
- 2 tablespoons dark red chile powder
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- 11⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Heat oil in saucepan until smoking. Add the sausage and cook until brown. Add the heavy cream, milk, chile powder, and pepper and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and slowly add flour, whisking vigorously until combined. Add more milk if needed, to reach desired consistency.