From the Homemade in Hatch article in the September 2016 issue.
Stuffed Eggplant with Green Chile
- 1 medium to large eggplant
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons green chile, roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons pimiento, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup Colby cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 350º F. Cut out inside of eggplant, leaving shell. Remove eggplant pulp and cut into cubes. Cook in salted boiling water for 10 minutes.
- While eggplant is cooking, sauté mushrooms, onion, chile, and garlic in butter or margarine. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper. Add well-drained eggplant, cream, and pimiento.
- Fill eggplant shell with the mixture. Top with cheese. Bake for about 25–30 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Recipe by Patsy Ogaz Trujillo, daughter of Adrian Ogaz, a cotton and chile farmer in Hatch.