From the Spring into Summer article in the June 2016 issue.
- 3 bulbs garlic
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced small
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4 cup Chimayó red chile powder
- 5 yellow-corn tortillas
- 4 cups high-quality stewed tomatoes, pureed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh chopped cilantro (save a little for garnish)
- 3 quarts water
- Salt to taste
- small avocados
- 1–2 limes
- Turn oven to 450° F. Cut off tops of garlic bulbs and rub with olive oil. Place in small baking dish and roast 20–30 minutes until soft and golden brown. When cool, squeeze the bulbs to release the roasted cloves.
- Heat a gallon-sized soup pot with 1⁄2 cup of olive oil. Add the diced onion and sauté for 5 minutes until soft with no color. Add oregano, cumin, red chile, and tortilla strips; cook for 3 minutes. Add the tomato puree and water, lower heat to medium, and simmer for 20 minutes until tortillas start to fall apart. Add the cilantro and roasted garlic cloves. Cool to room temperature and puree in batches in blender until smooth. Taste and add salt as needed.
- To serve, reheat and garnish with chopped cilantro, sliced avocado, and a wedge of lime.