Have fun experimenting with different kinds of chile. Garnish with cacao nibs and/or toasted pecans.
Makes about 1 quart
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons New Mexico red chile powder, or to taste
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine milk and cream and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar. Whisking constantly, pour in milk and cream in a steady stream.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add chopped chocolate, salt, cinnamon, and chile powder and whisk until smooth. Pour into a glass or plastic container and chill 4 hours or overnight. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions.
Source: Created by Gwyneth Doland for New Mexico Magazine