The Tourism Department (joined by HUB Destination Marketing) hosted a New York City media mission and attended International Media Marketplace last month. Delegates met with journalists representing publications such as Conde Nast, Huffington Post and Food Network Magazine, pitching uniquely New Mexican story ideas involving outdoor recreation, cultural heritage, architecture, destination weddings, regional cuisine, art, and winter recreation.
Aimee Awonohopay, NMTD PR Director, and Brenna Moore, Visit ABQ PR and Communications Manager, also participated in International Media Marketplace (IMM), giving a strong New Mexico presence. IMM is the industry’s leading event for the media to meet travel and tourism brands. Aimee met with over 20 travel journalists while Brenna—joined by Visit ABQ’s travel media relations agency—met with 45 members of the media.
HUB and NMTD hosted a journalist dinner as a finale to the NYC media mission. Chef Marc Quinones of Mas Tapas y Vino in Albuquerque gave live cooking demonstrations and tasting while New Mexico Wines provided libations. The dinner was hugely successful. The event was hosted in a private suite at the Royalton Hotel and a strong show of journalists were in attendance. Those journalists were:
- David Lang – Travel & Leisure China
- Donnie Sexton -Travel & Leisure China
- Amanda Ogle – National Geographic Traveler, Travel + Leisure & more
- Robert Annis – AFAR, Bicycling, Outside Online & more
- Kerri Allen – Huffington Post & more
- Debi Lander – By Lander Sea
- Mary Ann DeSantis – DeSoto Magazine
- Cynthia Calvert – Tribune Newspapers
- Wilson Calvert – Tribune Newspapers
- Kim Grant – New Mexico Based Influencer
- Joanne DiBona – USA Today 10Best
- Tony DiBona – USA Today 10Best
- Elly Devries – Group Tour Spotlight
- Lucas Aykroyd – New York Times, WestJet Magazine & more
Potential coverage is starting take shape as follow up efforts continue. Evaluation of the media mission remains an ongoing process as journalists are still pitching stories and coverage will come in the future.