Keep New Mexico Beautiful
New Mexico has always been known for its natural beauty and magnificent landscapes. In order to preserve New Mexico’s beauty, it is up to all of us to act as stewards of this land. As you get out and enjoy New Mexico’s abundance of incredible outdoor spaces, remember to do your part to keep our outdoor spaces beautiful for future generations of New Mexicans.
New Mexico is a Sustainable Destination
New Mexico's natural wonders and excellent access to the outdoors is not by accident — the recreational and environmental opportunities are the result of a collective effort to keep the Land of Enchantment clean and beautiful.
Not only is this beneficial for the environment, but it's also valuable for tourism:
- New Mexico has committed to preserving at least 30% of state land by 2030.
- The state is home to 5 national forests, 15 national parks and monuments, 35 state parks, and 26 wilderness areas.
- Four rivers have been designated Wild and Scenic, with a total of 108,000 miles of river flowing through New Mexico.
- Taos Ski Valley is the first major ski resort in the world to become a certified B-corp.
- Taos Air — servicing northern New Mexico — provides a 100% carbon offset for its routes.
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station infrastructure enables EV travel throughout the state.
- Meow Wolf has been certified as a B-corp and encourages waste reduction through art installations.
- The Recycle Santa Fe Art Festival is the largest recycled art market in the country.
- Ethyl the Whale holds the Guinness World Record for the largest recycled plastic sculpture.
- New Mexico True Certified products are 100% made in New Mexico and support the local economy.
Come ski and ride the winter sun on the incredible slopes in the Land of Enchantment! Our eight alpine and three Nordic ski areas dotted throughout the state will provide you with the ultimate in winter sporting options.
High elevations, dry climate, and abundance of clear nights make New Mexico the perfect destination for stargazing adventures. Here in the Land of Enchantment, we celebrate our dark skies and relish in the starlight.
With about 500 different birds on New Mexico’s state bird list – one of the highest – it should come as no surprise that there are a lot of favorite places!
New Mexico has an abundance of water resources worth protecting, including Wild and Scenic Rivers. The state’s majestic waterways provide the opportunity to experience activities such as fishing, whitewater rafting, and even scuba diving.
Galleries and Sculptures
New Mexico has a long history of repurposing materials into masterpieces. From retablos to tin-smithing, New Mexican artists have been creating recycled art for centuries.
The Recycle Santa Fe Art Festival
Attend the largest recycled art market in the country! This family-friendly event brings together artists who transform discarded materials into artistic wonders and includes an art market, art exhibits, student art, and make-and-take activities.
November 11 - 13, 2022
The Trash Temple at Meow Wolf
As a B-corps certified art collective, Meow Wolf is building a more sustainable world through the power of art. The Trash Temple installation on display by Corinne Loperfido features discarded or found objects, as a commentary on the nature of our single-use and disposable culture.
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
New Mexico is Electric Vehicle friendly! With numerous charging stations along our major interstates and in many of our cities, towns, and smaller communities, you won’t be far from your next charge – wherever you choose to explore. Use our map of Electric Charging Stations below to help find the nearest charging stations wherever your adventures across the Land of Enchantment take you.
ABQ Sunport Sustainability Efforts
The Albuquerque International Sunport has committed to a sustainability plan that puts several important environmental causes at the forefront. Their ambitious plan includes optimizing the Sunport for many important causes, such as recycling, water conservation, electric-vehicle usage within the ground crew, and green cleaning initiatives, among others.
Read about the Sunport's whole sustainability outlay by clicking the link below.
Taos Air Carbon Offsets
Taos Air services direct flights to and from California and Texas. And the great thing about flying into northern New Mexico via this airline is that each route is matched with a 100% carbon offset for the trip.