The former home of the Illinois Brewing Company, the Hammel Museum on Sixth Street houses collections focusing on early Socorro and the history of the brewing company. Constructed in the mid 1880s, it was known as Hammel Brothers and Company, the enterprise of William G. Hammel and his brother Gustav. Their father had immigrated to Illinois from Bavaria and had started the original Illinois Brewery in Lebanon, Illinois. The Socorro brewery’s name was changed to the Illinois Brewing company in 1887 and produced beer and ale until Prohibition in 1919. It was converted to a soft drink bottling plant and continued as an ice house until it closed in the mid 1950s. The museum is open from 9am to noon the first Saturday of each month. Private tours can be arranged by calling the Socorro County Historical Society. As an added bonus….the Socorro Train Gang has a fantastic toy train layout on the second floor of the museum. You can see it in action during museum hours the first Saturday of each month!