Smothered Breakfast Burritos
Servings: 4 generously
A true breakfast staple in New Mexico!
This is not your typical breakfast burrito; the green chile sauce takes it to a whole new level. After eating this, you will never be able to go back.
“...The idea of a morning burrito is a no-brainer. Don’t miss our Breakfast Burrito Byway, linked below.”
Try this interactive map to find a burrito near you
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large russet potatoes, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten, optional
- 4 flour tortillas, warmed 8 slices bacon, cooked until crisp
- 3 to 4 cups green chile sauce warmed
- 6 to 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400
- Warm the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Stir in the potatoes, salt, and as much pepper as you wish. Pat the mixture down evenly, cook several minutes.
- Scrape it up from the bottom of the skillet, add the onion and garlic, and pat back down again. Repeat the process until the potatoes are cooked through and golden brown, with many crisp edges, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- If you are including eggs, pour them over the potatoes and scrape the mixture up and down another couple of times to distribute and cook the eggs.
- Spoon one-fourth of the potatoes onto a tortilla. Top it with 2 slices of bacon. Roll up into a loose cylinder and place the burrito seam-side down on a heat-proof plate.
- Spoon one-fourth of the chile sauce over the burrito and sprinkle it generously with cheese. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake the burritos until the cheese is melted and gooey, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.