Tucumcari, New Mexico, may be family-friendly today, but like many towns in the West, it had a rowdy start. The Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific Railroad built a construction camp on Quay County’s western edge in 1901. Originally called Ragtown, numerous gunfights quickly earned the camp the name Six-Shooter Siding. By 1908, the railroad camp was a permanent settlement and it was redubbed Tucumcari (pronounced “TWO-come-carry”) after a nearby mountain.