Camp Davis was founded by Liz and Mule Davis of Lubbock, Tx in 1939; it was located at El Porvenier near Las Vegas, NM. For the first few years, the Davises brought a dozen or so school-aged boys (Mule was a football coach in Lubbock)to introduce them to the mountains of New Mexico. By 1942, they had outgrown the original site and acquired forty acres of land at the top end of the Gascon Valley in Rociada, NM.The camp grew and eventually sixty boys were coming to CD for the month of June; the rest of the summer was set aside for family vacations. By the late 40's, a month of girls' camp was added, with August set aside for families. Liz and Mule ran the camp until 1970, when the kids' camp ceased and the summer was opened up to families and groups. Liz and Mule's son Bill and his wife Irma ran Camp until 2009. Today, Camp Davis is operated by the third generation of Davises: Bennett and Kelly Davis Murphy. Camp Davis is made up of 8 log-sided cabins, a main dining room/kitchen, the original adobe home , a large recreation hall, fishing pond, and a mix of old-growth forest and open pastures. Our guests enjoy delicious home-style food (the Murphys have been in the hospitality business since 1980), horseback riding, hiking (the Pecos Wilderness can be reached on a day hike), riflery,golf, archery, birdwatching, and many other outdoor activities. Camp Davis is open from May through September, and we welcome families and groups to enjoy the beauty of this pristine place.