The Capitan Train Depot was first built as a part of the El Paso and Northeastern Railroad in 1899 or 1900. The original location was at Coalora, about 1 ½ miles west of Capitan as a depot to handle the growing needs of a coal field which eventually was run by the Phelps- Dodge Corporation. The coal field was closed about 1905 and in 1906 the depot was moved to its present location in Capitan. The rail line was extended to Capitan and the depot served as a terminal for freight and passengers until the 1940's. The building was used as a depot and as storage for George Titworth's local mercantile company. When the rails were torn up in 1943 to make the steel available to the war effort, the depot became storage for a variety of enterprises. In 1973 the building was given to the State of New Mexico as part of Smokey Bear Park. Today it is used only for storage. The Capitan Depot Museum, LLC plans to restore it for use as a local museum with an emphasis on its railroad days and its ties to farming and ranching in Lincoln County.