On August 21st, 1866, Fort Bayard Military Post was established by the 125th U.S Colored Troops Company F, under Lt .James Kerr. Other companies of the U.S. Colored Troops from Louisville, Kentucky continued to arrive. Company M of the 3rd Cavalry and Companies B & E of the 5th Infantry completed the first assignments. With the 3rd Cavalry Josephine Clifford, the wife of 2nd Lt. James Clifford, arrived. She was called "the mother of Fort Bayard' by the troops.