In 1540 Francisco Vazquez de Coronado passed through what is now Pecos, New Mexico. The land on which Our Lady of Guadalupe Abbey now exists was originally deeded by Charles II, King of Spain, to Juan de Dios Pena in 1815. In 1826 Pecos became independent of Spain and part of Mexico. Pecos was a stop on the Santa Fe Trail for decades in the 1800s. In 1846 General Stephen Watts Kearny claimed Pecos as part of U.S. Territory. The nearby Civil War Battle of Glorieta Pass was fought in 1862, the same year as the founding of St. Anthony's Church in Pecos. The Valley Ranch, one of several popular dude ranches in the Pecos River Canyon, was built here in 1908. Portions of the ranch building comprise the main Abbey building. In 1945 Trappist monks from St. Joseph's Abbey in Massachusetts took over the property. Benedictine monks from St. Benedict's Abbey in Wisconsin acquired the property in 1972. Our Lady of Guadalupe Abbey is now part of the Benedictine Olivetan Congregation. In the Benedictine tradition, all guests are received as Christ. Visit us for a day, weekend or longer, or join us for one of the many retreats we offer throughout the year.