Shakespeare has had several names through the years and only acquired its present one in 1879 at the beginning of its second mining boom. It is located here because there was a small but reliable spring located in the arroyo west of the town. This spring served as an alternate stopping place for the San Antonio and San Diego mail line but was bypassed by the first Butterfield coaches. The outbreak of the Civil War completely disrupted the stage line. With the close of the Civil War a new stage line was started by Kerens and Mitchell. They hired men in San Diego to reopen some of the Butterfield's stations. A man named John Eversen was hired to reopen this station. Evensen came here in 1865 and lived on here until his death in 1887. In 1870, they discovered samples of very rich silver ore in the surrounding hills and they went hunting for financing to develop their new mines. The town was renamed Ralston. The railroad missed Shakespeare and the beginning of the new railroad town of Lordsburg was the death knell for Shakespeare. In 1935 the town and buildings were purchased by Frank and Rita Hill for a ranch. They maintained the buildings as well as they could with limited resources. Shakespeare was declared a National Historic Site in 1970. And it wouldn't be here but for the Hill family (all are gone now). Janaloo's husband, Manny Hough, continues the work toward preserving the town as a monument to the Real Old West.