Back to Previous Page
Three Rivers Petroglyph Site - BLM
County Road B30 Tularosa, NM 88352
SouthEast
575-525-4300

More than 21,000 petroglyphs (rock carvings) of animals, plants, and geometric designs can be found at the Three Rivers Petroglyph Site. Managed by the Bureau of Land Management, it is one of the largest petroglyph sites in New Mexico. The petroglyphs, dating back to between about 900 and 1400 AD, were created by Jornada Mogollon people who used stone tools to remove the dark patina on the exterior of the rock. A trail takes visitors to many of the most interesting petroglyphs. Another short trail begins on the east side of the picnic area and leads to the remains of a Mogollon village, whose inhabitants were likely responsible for the petroglyphs. Occupied for about 400 years, the site was partially excavated in 1976. On the village site, there are foundations of three types of prehistoric buildings. A small pueblo ruin is nearby and Sierra Blanca towers nearby. The area is managed by the Bureau of Land Management and offers a small campground/picnic area with five shelters, a group/ADA site, and two RV sites. Restrooms and drinking water are available. Pets are allowed in the campground (on leash), but are not allowed on the trails. Fees Day Use (per vehicle): $5 Camping (per campsite) $7 RV Hookup (per campsite): $18 Day Use (Bus): $15 Group Site (per group) $50