The small mesa to the east of San Acacia is the reference point for all the topographic maps of the State of New Mexico. In 1855 John W. Garretson fixed the Initial Point for the Principal Meridian and Base Line there.
Located on the Rio Grande, the village was often subject to flooding. Torrential rains and high water devastated the community in 1929. In 1934 the Middle Rio Grande Conservancy district had the San Acacia Diversion dam installed to control the flow of irrigation water to farmers to the south. Today San Acacia is home to a cluster of homes and ranches, a church and ARA Acacia Riding Adventures.