The sweet wealth of water in Guadalupe County is a miracle, and a blessing to be enjoyed by all who live and travel in this rugged land.
The Pecos River flows gently through the hills, mesas and rolling grassland of Guadalupe County. Creating a fertile oasis where ever it flows, the Pecos crosses the county from northwest to southeast before flowing into Sumner Lake just south of the Guadalupe-DeBaca county line. The sweet wealth of water in Guadalupe County is a miracle, and a blessing to be enjoyed by all who live and travel in this rugged land. And where water is, the people come. Throughout the history of Guadalupe County, from the trails followed by Spanish settlers and Texas cattlemen to the railroads and Route 66, the people followed the path of water.
Guadalupe County was created by the territorial legislature in 1891. The name honors Our Lady of Guadalupe, the vision of the Virgin Mary, who appeared to Juan Diego near Mexico City in 1531.
SANTA ROSA IS KNOWN AS THE "CITY OF NATURAL LAKES"
And is fast becoming a recreational paradise for outdoor enthusiasts of all ages. Santa Rosa actually has 15 separate lakes and streams and four city parks. Numerous fishing opportunities are available at almost all of the city parks and along the Pecos River.
In Santa Rosa offers a wide range of free recreational activities, including free fishing for kids and senior citizens at the kiddie ponds and fishing at beautiful El Rito Creek.
JANES WALLACE MEMORIAL PARK AND POWER DAM
A beautiful spring-fed lake on the southern outskirts of Santa Rosa, provides some of the best trout, catfish and bass fishing in the area.
Is located on Hwy 91 near Santa Rosa. It contains a twin engine plane, submerged 55 feet deep and is used primarily for advanced scuba diving training, although fishing is allowed.
SANTA ROSA LAKE STATE PARK
Located seven miles north of Santa Rosa, is a recreational paradise. With 1,500 acres this state park is a popular fishing spot for channel catfish, bass, crappie and prize walleye. Santa Rosa Dam and Lake was authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1954. It serves for conservation of irrigation water, sedimentation control and flood control. There is no permanent pool; however, the irrigation pool will frequently be available for water recreation.